The Council of the European Union during the period between 01/05/2019 to 20/06/2019 passed various resolutions giving effect to the following:
1) Republic of Maldives – abolition of regime of autonomous restrictive measures of EU, decisions and regulations taken on 17th of June 2019, in relation to the restrictive measures due to the situation in the Republic of Maldives.
In the context of the reassessment of the restrictive measures (financial and travel bans) in the light of the targets of the EU and the current situation in the Republic of Maldives, the Council decided to lift the valid restrictive measures. Furthermore, due to the above legal acts the aforementioned regime of the restrictive measures is abolished. It is noteworthy that the Annex to the decision was empty (there were no filings).
2) Central African Republic (integration of sanctions SC/UN), decisions and regulations taken on 13th day of May 2019, in relation to the restrictive measure due to the situation on Central African Republic.
Based on the decisions and regulations mentioned above, the decision (18/04/2019) of the competent Sanctions Committee 2127 (2013) of the SC/UN, in relation to the confirmation of the information of one physical person in the Annex of the persons and entities which are under the restrictive measures (financial bans), is integrated.
3) Syria (autonomous regime of a specific sector [i.e. foreign and security policy] for restrictive measures of EU), decisions and regulations taken on 17th day of May 2019, in relation to the restrictive measure due to the situation on Syria.
Based on the decisions and regulations mentioned above, and based on the reassessment of the aforementioned restrictive measures, the regime of a sector is renewed for another year, until 01/06/2020. In the context of the reassessment, the submissions of 59 physical persons who are financially and travel banned are amended and in the meantime 7 submissions of physical persons and 2 entities are deleted.
4) Iran (autonomous regime of restrictive measures of the EU – nuclear program), decisions and regulations taken on 27th day of May 2019, in relation to the restrictive measures against Iran.
Based on the decisions and regulations mentioned above and in the context of the reassessment of the submissions which are travel and financially banned, the details of 17 submissions included in the Annex II of the Decision 2010/413/CFSP and the respective Annex IX of the Regulation (EU) no. 267/2012.
5) Iraq (integration of sanctions SC/UN), decisions and regulations taken on 20th day of May 2019, in relation to certain special restrictions to the economic and financial relations with Iraq.
Based on the decisions and regulations mentioned, the decision of EU (14/05/2019) of the competent Council of Sanctions 1518 (2003), in relation to the subtraction of 4 entities from the list of the persons or entities which are economically and financially banned, is integrated.
6) Terrorism (autonomous restrictive measures of the EU and the integration of sanctions of SC/UN). The decisions in relation to the addition of a physical person (Mohammed Masood Azar ALVI) and of a legal entity (“Islamic State in Iraq and Levant – Khorasan (ISILL-K) to the list of the persons or entities who is asset and financially banned is integrated and the subtraction of two physical persons (Nessim Ben Mohamed Al-Cherif Ben Mahamed Saleh Al-Saadi and Mazen Salah Mohammed) from the list of the persons or entities who is asset and financially banned.
7) New horizontal regime of autonomous restrictive measures of the European Union against cyber-attacks threatening the Union or its Member States. The Council by this decision establishes a framework for targeted restrictive measures to deter and respond to cyber-attacks with a significant effect which constitute an external threat to the Union or its Member States.
The measures provided by the aforementioned decision relate to travel bans and freezing of asset in respect to natural and legal persons, entities and bodies getting involved to cyber-attacks.
By this decision the Council of the European Union sets out the circumstances under which the competent authorities of the Member States may authorize the release of certain frozen funds or economic resources, provided that certain conditions are met.
The Union encourages third countries to adopt restrictive measures in order to maximize the impact of the measures set out in the aforementioned decision. The decision is applicable until 18th day of May 2020 and shall be kept under constant review.
For any further information in this respect, please feel free to contact Mr. Nicholas Ktenas at Nicholas.Ktenas@cylegal.com